Wikipedia is a free, collaborative, multilingual online encyclopedia
supported by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation. Its 21 million articles (over 3.9 million in English alone) have been written collaboratively by volunteers around the world. All of its articles can be edited by anyone with access to the site, and it has about 100,000 regularly active contributors. As of April 2012, there are editions of Wikipedia in 284 languages. It has become the largest and most popular general reference work on the Internet, ranking sixth globally among all websites on Alexa and having an estimated 365 million readers worldwide.
Wikipedia was launched in January 2001 by Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger. Sanger coined the name Wikipedia, which is a portmanteau of wiki (a type of collaborative website, from the Hawaiian word wiki, meaning “quick”) and encyclopedia.
• 280+ language
• 20+ Indian language
• 5% of world’s population read Wikipedia
• 6th most visited website in all over the world and India
• 11.7 billion page request per month
• 400 unique visitors per month
Sister projects of Wikipedia
1. Wiki commence – Free media repository
2. Wikicommons – Free content library
3. Wikinews – Free-content news
4. Wiktionary – Dictionary and thesaurus
5. Wikiversity – Free learning material and activity
6. Media Wiki – Free software open source wiki package written in php
7. Wikispecies – Directory of species
8. Wikiquote – Collections of quotations
9. Meta-Wiki – Wikipedia project coordination
10. Wikibooks – Free textbooks and manuals
Everything on Wikipedia has been written by people. 100000+ editor on Wikipedia. 4 million contributors per month.
What are the benefit for you to edit Wikipedia?
• Improve your writing skill
• Improve your critical thinking
• Improve your research skill
• Help you to learn how to collaborate
Five pillars of Wikipedia
1. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia
2. Wikipedia has a neutral point of you
3. Wikipedia is free content that anyone can use, modify and distribute
4. Editor should interact in a respectful and civil manner
5. Wikipedia does not have firm rules besides the 5 general principal written here
Why to edit Wikipedia?
- Less India related article
- Indians can enhance India specific article
- Expand knowledge language wise
- Don’t just read , give back “Good Karma”
So create your account and start editing Wikipedia and become the part of this community.